As of august 1st 2015 there is a new procedure for submitting applications for Italian citizenship through marriage.
Applicants interested in applying for Italian citizenship through marriage will now have to submit directly their application online through the consular website.
Requirements and documentation necessary to apply will remain the same.
They generally are the following.
- birth certificate
- Italian marriage certificate issued by the municipality in Italy
- Criminal background checks from every US state or foreign country of residence since the age of 14
- receipt of payment of the 200 euros fee
- valid identification form (passport)
Once the application submitted online is accepted, the applicant will be requested to submit to this consulate all of the original documentation and to make the necessary payments.
The above new rules do not apply to women who contracted marriage to Italian citizens prior to April 27, 1983 (marriage to an Italian man before such date would automatically entitle the woman to obtain a recognition of Italian citizenship).
if this case applies to you, the online application cannot be used and you still need to schedule an appointment at the local Italian consulate (please note this condition applies only to female applicants).
The foreign spouse of an Italian citizen may apply for Italian citizenship through the prefettura after being married for 2 years, if couple reside in Italy, or through the Italian consulate after being married for 3 years if the couple reside abroad.
The above periods are reduced by half if the couple has biological or adopted children.
Two basic requirements to be met prior to submitting the application are:
- the marriage must have already been registered at the town hall in italy.
- the Italian spouse must be registered at the consulate as an Italian citizen residing abroad (a.i.r.e.).